One of the many things parents fear is their child getting in trouble with the police – it can have huge consequences on your life and seriously impact your relationship. However, it’s important to make sure that you understand the consequences of your child getting in trouble with the police and what could potentially happen.

If your child keeps getting in trouble with the police you could be held responsible – and you could be asked to attend or be given the following:

  1. Parenting Programmes

These programmes are designed to help you as the parent, have more control over your child’s behaviour. Each program is specially tailored for the parents and considers the community type and the child’s behaviour. These courses are designed to empower you as the parent and put you back in control.

  1. Parenting contracts

There are documents you sign in agreement with your child and youth officer to help them stay away from crime. They set out guidelines and other rules. It is a voluntary agreement, however, if you don’t sign you can be given a parenting order by the court. (find out what this is below)7523-policeteen

  1. Parenting Orders

These are orders given out by the court and give you explicit rules as to what you and your child can and cannot do. If you are given a parenting order it does not mean y
ou will have a criminal record. However, if you don’t follow the rules and guidelines you can be taken to court. Parenting orders can last up to 12 months.

After these steps, your child could also be given an ASBO – An Anti-social behaviour order. These are rules and regulations that must be followed and if they aren’t kept at times you could be fined for it.


Remembered that from the age of 10-17 your child is responsible for their own actions – however, they are still regarded as young people and under the age of the law cannot be treated in the same way as someone over 18.

They are given a certain lenience and the parent’s behaviour is considered – for these young people there are separate youth courts, youth offending centres instead of prisons and they are given different sentences.

For legal advice or to clear any questions regarding young people and the law,or family law please call us on  0116 2999 199 or alternatively you can email us at