How does a civil partnership come to an end?

Civil partnerships come to an end if your partner passes away. If you choose to end your civil before that there are 3 ways you can go about it.

A dissolution Order

if you or your partner wishes to dissolve the civil partnership you must apply to the court for permission. A dissolution order is much like getting a divorce in a marriage. The partnership must have lasted at least a year before you can apply.

As well as that, you must also prove that your relationship has broken down irretrievably. the grounds for these include:

To apply for a dissolution, you must fill in forms that can be obtained from the ministry of justice website or your nearest family court.

If you and your partner agree to the dissolution, the process will be simple and over within 6 weeks. However, if your partner does not agree, you should seek legal advice and seek legal aid to cover the cost of your court fees.

A Separation Order

If you want to take some time away from your partner, but don’t want to dissolve partnership you can apply for a separation order.

You don’t have to wait for a year to apply, you can apply whenever you feel the need to. However, you won’t be able to register a new civil partnership or marry unless you get a dissolution order.

The grounds for getting a separation are the same as for a dissolution order. If you’ve applied for a separation, then want to get a dissolution that is fine and you can use the same grounds on both applications.

An Annulment

You can get an annulment in court if your partnership is no longer legal. There are requirements for you to get a partnership such as you being a certain age, or being already in a registered relationship.

When the court gives an annulment, it will fall into 2 categories:

Most annulment applications must be made within three years of registrations.

If you’re looking to end a civil partnership, or would like to know more call our team on: 0116 2999 199 or email us at: